If you're in the market for an air hockey table, you've probably come across MD Sports, also referred to as Medal Sports. We created this guide to give our readers a clear overview of what they offer and how it compares to some of the other brands out there.
It is important to note that MD Sports manufactures air hockey tables for Costco (read our Costco Air Hockey table review) and EA Sports.
In a rush? Check out this table for a quick summary and overview of some of the most popular products they offer:
48.5 L x 22.75 W x 32.5 H inch
Decent starter table for kids that's low commitment and easy to put away. Folding legs make it convenient and easy.
48.5" x 23.8" x 32"
Similar to the 48" model with some unique additional games: ring toss, archery, and target shooting.
Adults and Kids
89" x 48" x 32"
It's a full-sized table that can offer high-speed and fun game-play. A good choice if you can't afford a full-on commercial-grade machine.
Pre-teen and up
89" x 48" x 32"
It's a full-sized table that can offer high-speed and fun game-play to the whole family, at an affordable price
MD Sports, also known as Medal Sports creates all sorts of table games including billiards, foosball, basketball, and of course, air hockey. (Read more about MD Sports here). They're a brand that's geared towards the mass market and not necessarily towards professional or competitive air hockey. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just depends on what you're looking for. Many of their products, especially some of their multi-game tables deliver a lot of value.
If you're interested in playing air hockey at a higher / competitive level you're going to want to check out this post.
For a quick understanding of what we mean by competitive air hockey, check out this short video clip:
Although some of the MD tables are rather large, they aren't USAA sanctioned tables and thus aren't equipped for competitive air hockey. The games can still get pretty fast and intense if you get their big table, though. They're designed to provide casual entertainment for kids and adults alike.
MD Sports air hockey tables
In this section, we'll give you a quick overview of each of their models, pros and cons, and the type of person that they would best be suited for.
MD Sports Air Hockey Table 48 inch
This table is one of the company's smallest tables. At only 48" inches long, it's best suited for kids and pre-teens. Being that it's a small table, you can assume that the airflow in it isn't too great. With low levels of airflow, you can't play with adequately weighted pucks so pulling off accurate, high speed, and well-timed shots is going to be difficult.
Your kids may also enjoy these air hockey alternatives (that don't require air).
Who should get this table?
While we don't see any issue with getting this table as a gift for a young person, it is important to realize that they are going to outgrow it. By the time they're hitting their teen years, they'll likely want to play a more intense version of air hockey if it's something their into.
Get this table if you need to get a quick gift and don't mind it making its way to the closest within a few years or months. It would make a great starter table for little kids.
MD Sports 48" 4-in-1 Combination Table
With a size of 48.5 x 23.875 x 32 inches, very similar to the foldable table, this combination table is probably one of the coolest ones on the list. Yes, even though the air hockey isn't likely to be like the arcade, the other tables are actually pretty neat! It comes with ring toss, darts, and archery shooting which is going to be fun for a while, even for adults. Playing ping pong or air hockey on a table that's way too small is kind of awkward for a full grown person, but you'll likely find these three bonus games more fun.
Who Should Get This Table?
To increase the "wow" factor of a kid's gift, this is the table to go for. With so many options to choose from, it's likely to get played with for a lot longer than the other kid's air hockey tables that we've mentioned. There are also probably a lot of other fun uses for the accessories once the table itself stops getting used
MD Sports Air Hockey Table 84-inch Air Hockey Table, with LED Lights and Sound Effects
This MD Sports Air Hockey Table has LED Lights and Sound Effects. It is a large table but not as big as the next table we review next. To be honest, this table is probably going to be a great fit for most families. It is large, but not too big. It has an overall good quality but isn't expensive. It is easy to assemble and not too heavy.
Not only that, it also has everything you wish a air hockey table would have such as a 120V-certified motor which provides consistent air flow and an electronic scoring system to easily let players and viewers keep tabs on scores.
Some users reported that the table can be loud, but let's be honest, an air hockey table is always going to be somewhat loud.
Who should get this table?
Looking to host family and friends and have fun year-round. This is a perfect table for families and people who like to socialize at an affordable price.
MD Sports Air Hockey Table 89 inch (The Titan)
The MD Sports 89" table is also sometimes referred to as "The Titan". It's the biggest table in their line up and is nearly the same length as some commercial tables. The table can deliver some excellent and competitive games, but the way we'd describe it is "family fun". If you want to be able to do proper air hockey trick shots and strategies then you'll need to look elsewhere. But if you're looking for the occasional game decent-speed game, then go for it! We love the overhead scorer.
Who should get this table?
This is a great table if you're looking for a decent way to entertain some friends or family. If you find yourself sitting around and watching TV and would rather do something more mentally and physically engaging, this isn't a bad deal. Considering that the tournament-style tables aren't going to be affordable for everyone, this is a solid alternative that kids won't outgrow.
With the solid size, decent weight, stability, lights, and sound effects, it's a a super fun piece of equipment to have around.
Bestselling Air Hockey Tables
- AWESOME GAMING EXPERIENCE: Electric air powered hockey table is ideal for a game room in a home or basement; enjoy exciting games with friends or family at any party or gathering with this table.
- COMPLETE ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: This table comes with all the necessary accessories to have the best gaming experience.
- ELECTRONIC SCORING CAPABILITIES: the table comes with an electronic LED scoring system with professional arcade sound effects to provide an authentic atmosphere.
- TOP QUALITY EQUIPMENT: This table has a premium blower motor for consistent air flow across the tabletop and a glossy playfield with colorful graphics that everyone will love.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: This 7-foot table has full panel leg supports for durability and longevity, and oversized leg levelers for a fully balanced playing surface
- 4 fun games in 1 - air powered hockey, foosball, basketball and table tennis in one convenient, compact game space. Converts easily from game to game.
- Easy to assemble and attach legs to the frame. Steel locking clasps and buttons provide both safety and strength. Reinforced leg panels provide additional stability.
- Features maximum air flow across the entire playing surface for consistent air powered hockey game play.
- Designed with 1/2" diamater steel rods with foosball players that require no-tool assembly, saving up to 70% of your time so you get to the game play action faster than ever.
- All needed game accessories included: 2 table tennis paddles, 2 table tennis balls, 1 table tennis net and post set, 2 air hockey pushers and 2 pucks, 1 basketball, 1 air pump with needle, and 2 soccer style foosballs.
- 12 GAMES IN 1: Games included: Air-powered hockey, basketball, bean bag toss, foosball, table tennis, archery, dice, chess, checker, backgammon, air soccer, and stick hockey
- COMPACT DESIGN: Offers a wide variety of game options in a single compact footprint; Weight: 50.69 pounds; Dimensions (L x W x H): 48 x 22.75 x 32 inches; Manufacturer warranty: 90-day warranty
- DURABLE FRAME: Re-enforced leg design with a center lateral support
- PLAYING PIECES PROVIDED: Includes all of the accessories needed to play each game
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: Great game for kids and family
Comparison vs. Other Brands
When it comes to kid's air hockey tables, then we think that any of the tables from MD Sports are a great choice. However, if you are going to be playing frequently, then there are some other brands to consider.
While their 89" table is the top of the line for recreational tables, we do recommend considering a table from Gold Standard Games or Dynamo. Although their price points tend to be higher, we think that it's a worthwhile investment. These tables are designed for competitive level play and have the ability to handle tournament sanctioned pucks. In combination with the a heavy puck and carefully regulated airflow of these tables, you can really start practicing the sport and getting good at air hockey.
If you're approaching your purchase as something to keep you occupied for years to come, then why not get the best of the best?
Other products of interest
- MD sports ping pong table - we are not reviewing ping pong tables just yet, but MD Sports makes a pretty good and affordable table.